birding-aus

Solar Eclipse birdwatching

To: "Ecology Solutions" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Solar Eclipse birdwatching
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:49:43 +1000
I am very interested to do whatever can be done to investigate responses of fauna to a Total Solar Eclipse by other people and would be very interested to be there myself. The BOCA took part in a project on it in 1976, that was organised by Monash University's Centre for Continuing Education. See my article: Veerman, P.A. (1982) ‘A record of avian and other responses to the total solar eclipse – 23 October 1976’, Australian Bird Watcher: 179–209. (As far as I know this is still the world’s biggest analysis of animal behaviour to such an event.) Not only are Total Solar Eclipses a fascinating and memorable experience but what they reveal about circadian rhythms of fauna is even more fascinating.
Whether or not you have read that report, I think it is a worthwhile read. (Well of course I think that.) I will need to look in a map as to where Lyndhurst is, more importantly check out the totality path and start making plans.

I doubt that the behaviour of Chestnut-breasted Whiteface during a Total Solar Eclipse is intrinsically any more interesting than that of any other species but it is worth a try. I wonder is the Chestnut-breasted Whiteface of any special interest, it seems to get a got of comment on this line.

Philip