birding-aus

BA-NQG Cairns Esplanade Field Trip

To: <>
Subject: BA-NQG Cairns Esplanade Field Trip
From: "Keith & Lindsay Fisher" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 17:24:50 +1000
Hi All,
The BA-North Queensland Group had a wader identification session on the
Cairns Esplanade today. Us locals were joined by several visiting overseas
birdos who were grateful for the local knowledge. The main and surprising
highlight of the session was a glide by of 80+ Frigatebirds, mainly Little
with at least two Greater amongst them. We can only recall seeing them over
Cairns in cyclonic conditions previously - do they know something we don't!
Also 4 Glossy Ibis flew past heading for Cairns Airport. There was a good
variety of migratory waders inc. one Red-necked Stint still in breeding
plumage, most numerous were Whimbrel, Great Knot and Red-necked Stint (full
list at end of report). There was only a few Lesser & Greater Sandplovers
and very few Grey-tailed Tattlers and in the trees behind the Esplanade were
at least 4 Nankeen Night Heron and a couple of Pied Imperial-Pigeon who were
probably getting ready to nest in the mango tree they had occupied last year
(at least 8 nests)
Lindsay did a good job handing out brochures and information to passers by
who wanted to know what we were up to, many of them expressed an interest in
birds.

Esplanade Bird List for 8th September 2002
Australian Pelican
Great Frigatebird
Lesser Frigatebird
White-faced Heron