birding-aus

Swift Parrots at Seaspray Vic.

Subject: Swift Parrots at Seaspray Vic.
From: "Tim Bawden" <>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 19:21:52 +1000
This weekend I went down to my parent's new holiday shack which is near
Seapsray Vic. on the far western edge of Lake Reeve, part of the Gippsland
Lakes. It seems a great place for birds with 50 odd species seen mostly through
the window from the couch due to the obnoxious weather ;-) The highlights
included :
 - The oppurtunity to examine Little, Intermediate and Great Egret standing in
the same binocular view.
 - A gull-billed Tern, a new species for me.
 - Great views of a number of raptors, especially a White-bellied Sea-eagle.
 - However, the clear winner was a group of Swift Parrots in Coast Banksia and
wattle just outside the back door! I was able to watch them at very close range
for 10 minutes or so, initially I could see 8 or so, but when they were
disturbed by a passing kite, there were 15-20 flying off. The first I have seen
this year after peering at countless groups of Musk, Rainbow and Little
Lorikeets all over Melbourne. I guess they are waitingf or a break in the
weather before heading back to Tassie?

Ill definately be heading back down in a couple of weeks, hopefully when the
weather is a little tamer!

Cheers
Tim