birding-aus

Square-tailed Kite at Benloch, Lancefield area, Victoria

To: <>
Subject: Square-tailed Kite at Benloch, Lancefield area, Victoria
From: "Charles Silveira" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 15:10:49 +1000

Hello folks,

Yesterday at about 1400 hours while visiting a property near the Cobaw State Forest my attention was drawn to a commotion of raven calls and a call of a raptor under duress.  On sighting the lot of them, I was happy to see a rather large Square-tailed Kite which was doing its best to evade the attention of a couple of very persistent Australian Ravens.  The ravens were in fine form as they had previously repeatedly hassled a pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles which had been soaring over the same area. The ravens and the kite were about 200 m away and about 50 m high over a cleared paddock in the vicinity of remnant open- and tall open-forest on private land and along the Burke and Wills Road.  Given the rarity of this bird in Victoria, I just thought that local birdos may be interested in keeping an eye out for this individual if it decides to stay in the general area.  The site was about a kilometre east of a sign-posted Special Protection Zone at the junction of Ridge Road and the Burke and Wills Road, Cobaw S.F., north-west of Lancefield.

All the best,

Charlie

Charles Silveira
6 Nene Avenue