birding-aus

Horsfields and Oriental Cuckoo

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Horsfields and Oriental Cuckoo
From: "Mules, Michael" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 21:40:28 +1000
Hi Justin, I don't know if I can help you much, but here goes.

According to Morecombe (Field Guide to Australian Birds, 2000), two
subspecies of the Oriental Cuckoo may be seen in Australia:  Cuculus
saturatus saturatus and C.s.optatus.  Optatus is apparently the more common
(I am going purely by the field guide here, I have never seen an Oriental
Cuckoo).  Also, again according to Morecombe, the South Asian C.s.saturatus
is smaller than C.s.optatus.

As far as having Horsfield's Cuckoo in Australia, we have a species of
Chrysococcyx called Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo, Chrysococcyx basalis.  It
looks totally different to the Oriental.

Out of interest, how many subspecies are there of the Oriental Cuckoo?

Hope this helped.  Cheers, Michael