birding-aus

Spotlighting

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Spotlighting
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 19:21:19 +1000
I can't really address Colin's questions about spotlighting - I'm sure there
will be lots of good advice flowing, and I'll look forward to learning from
it.

However, I do get to see some nocturnal creatures from the verandahs at home
by using low-level floodlighting.

We don't illuminate anything strongly, but we do have an outside light that
is fixed in the general direction of the creek and which spreads its light
widely but thinly. We find that it gives enough ambience to allow us to see
passing night-herons, frogmouths, owls, or nightjars - although you've still
got be quick to get the binoculars on them to get a view before they pass
out of sight. Mind you the nightjars, when they are here, do laps.

It also allows us to spot any bandicoots or echidnas which might wander
through the garden, and we do keep a spotlight nearby to
get a better look, as they're much more slow-moving than the birds. We get
Squirrel-gliders and Brush-tailed Possums in the trees
close to the house if we hang puddings out for them. Once we've put a
pudding out we scan it now and then with the spotlight to pick the up if
they're there - but I don't really like doing that and I've decided it would
be better to establish another low-level flood-light, so that we can watch
them going about their pursuits without startling them with bright lights,
and especially without running the risk of blinding some poor creature
through careless use of a powerful spotlight.

The creek is very low at present, and it's several months since we saw any
platypus. I guess they're in some better-resourced billabong up-stream. It's
happened before, and thus far, they've always returned. We have never
spotlighted platypus. Over the years we have seen them in every month of the
year and at every time of day, including noon! But we have never searched
for them with lights. We're lucky to have these marvellous monotremes, and
privileged to have become so familiar with them over the years that I feel
we should just leave them alone and settle for passive breath-holding
watching and no more.

So, this is how we do it from our verandah. Ideally the waiting period
between nocturnal sightings should be taken up with conviviality and
bonhomie until someone on the verandah accidentally spots a creature, and
everyone gets excited and argues about what it is or might have been.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056