birding-aus

Queensland birding Part 3

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Queensland birding Part 3
From: "Lois j Piroch" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 13:47:28 +1100
Hi Birders,
to IRON RANGE  :
For easier access take the 2nd turnoff 36.5km north of Archer River & allow 3-4hours.
Of the birds, expect to see readily White-faced Robin, Frilled monarch, Tropical Scrubwren & Tawny-breasted Honeyeater. Also Eclectus Parrot in a couple of locations on the walk track.
Yellow-billed Kingfisher, Green-backed Honeyeater, Yellow-legged Flycatcher & Large-tailed Nightjar are all likely along the road between Rainforest & Gordon Creek campsites.
Marbled Frgmouth,Red-cheeked Parrot, Palm Cockatoo,Northern Scrub-robin, Trumpet Manucode & Magnificent Riflebird you will hear & perseverance will likely reward.
Fawn-breasted Bowerbird proved difficult for all birders in the area but outside the "Art Centre" at Lockhart River early morning would appear the best option.  White-streaked Honeyeater & Chestnut-breasted Cuckoo very difficult . [but see Shipton Flat in part 1]
P.S. Thanks to Klaus Ehlenhut for the tip on the Laughing Gull at Portland Road.
        And John Barkla for his company & assistance.
LAKEFIELD N.P..
Absolutely overrun by feral pigs - saw at least 100 in 3 days.
However really enjoyed the park, especially Low Lake which was covered in waterlillies & waterbirds.
When crossing Nifold Plain from the western side look out for a dam on the right identified by a couple of tall palms. This is an excellent site for finches- we saw Star, Double-barred & Black-throated. Also spotlighted  Barn Owl & Spotted Nightjar.  At Top Whip Handle Waterhole - Masked Finch & on the entry road to 12mile lagoon at the 4km & 6.5km mark , the white-bellied form of Crimson Finch.
On our return spent a pleasant evening at Cassowary House with its Red-necked Crake & various "critters'.
Then the flight to Horn Island to meet with the "JodI Anne' & the Torres Strait.
As this trip has already been documented it remains for me to again thank Mike Carter for organising such a great trip.  I started a landlubber but finished a sailor ??

Geoff. Walker