birding-aus

Noisy Friarbird - WHY BARE HEADS AND BILL KNOBS?

To: <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Noisy Friarbird - WHY BARE HEADS AND BILL KNOBS?
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:49:59 +1000
Hi David,
See my other message of yesterday. I'm very pleased that - as you say "Well, that's a first for me!". That is exactly why I put it in the text (one of the referees sugested I leave that line out). If someone demonstrates it to be true or indeed not true, I will be very glad that I was the first (perhaps) to have suggested it. The vast majority of my GBS report is straightforward presentation of data. That particular line was one of the few items of conjecture or suggestion. It is after all, a better suggestion than any other, as to why these birds migrate north - south rather than up - down, as nearly all the other honeyeaters that inhabit this region do.

You wrote that "The knob, and the associated depressions either side of the knob, are also wonderful collectors of pollen ensuring cross pollination as birds move between plants." That may be true but that is an advantage to the plants but hardly of any benefit for the birds. The birds aren't going to evolve something to benefit the plants, unless it has been of historical adaptive benefit to the birds that started to develop that feature. Absence of feathers on parts of a bird where they are not needed is an advantage to the bird, as it doesn't need the energy to grow or maintain the feathers. Just as birds that live in places where they don't need to fly, typically evolve to become flightless. However a bird that happens to be bald, is likely to have a hard time surviving the cold winters here, hence they migrate north.

Philip