birding-aus

Western/Mallee Whipbird & Schodde and Mason

To: "" <>
Subject: Western/Mallee Whipbird & Schodde and Mason
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 16:52:05 +1000
Hi Dean,
No sample sizes are given for Western Whipbird taxa. On p 6 of the book
under Materials it states 'most totals for species are listed under the
relevant species in the text, in the section Taxonomic circumscription. (I
presume totals = sample size) This is not the case for the Western Whipbird
complex.

As for the science...on page 10 it states 'We are all too aware that graphic
presentation of the results of analysis, in the form of data matrices,
diagrams  and statistical tests (e.g. analysis of variance) would help
readers and improve rigour. Preparing them, however proved complex, space
expensive and time consuming, leading us to the decision not to exclude them
but to postpone them for inclusion in future electronic up-dates of the
Directory".

The bottom line is this is a very impressive review of Australian bird taxa
and the first complete review of passerines to sub-specific (or ultra taxa)
level since G. Matthews work many many years ago. The authors findings have
important implications for Australian ornithology. For example this is the
first real working list of Australian passerine sub-species (or ultra taxa)
for conservation purposes.  However, in the absence of lists of specimens
examined, the results of statistical analysis (which we are told were
undertaken) and many sample sizes it is extremely difficult for the
discerning reader to interpret many of their findings. Lets hope the
'science' is eventually published in electronic up-dates as suggested.

Rohan