birding-aus

rfi: Nikon Coolpix 4500 digital

Subject: rfi: Nikon Coolpix 4500 digital
From: Arron Davies <>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 16:20:52 -0700 (PDT)
Hi, I'm intrested in purchasing a digital camera and
have seen the new Nikon coolpix 4500, and wondered if
anyone here owns it or its predecessor and can give
some warning or recommendation.

One of my main interests would be to use it for
digiscoping, so this not entirely an off-topic post.

A couple of years ago I was on a digiscoping maillist,
and the Nikon coolpix 950/995 seemed to be the weapon
of choice at the time. Is this still the case, or has
this style of camera been superceeded now. Would the
coolpix 4500 be a good digiscoping camera ?

Can anyone give some further guidance as to whether it
is also a good all-round camera. I notice that it has
a fairly low-powered zoom (4x) which is also fairly
slow (5.6) at full zoom. Is this a problem? Is it
still competitive against other cameras in the
$1500-2500 price bracket?

I notice that it is 4 'effective' megapixels. Do those
who own digital cameras use the highest megapixel
setting much, or is it like the high setting on my
desktop scanner (something I never use because the
image file is just too big to store or view).

thanks
Arron