birding-aus

species concepts

To: "John Leonard" <>
Subject: species concepts
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 14:13:52 +1000
Hi John

One of the best accounts of speciation that I have read recently is by:

Martin Collinson "Shifting sands" taxonomic changes in the world of field ornithology"
British Birds 94: 2-27, January 2001.

Using simple language (that appeals to me) with some good diagrams, he clearly sets out the background to both BSC and PSC and shows how genetics can be very helpful
but is not the complete answer.

It is well worth reading.

Peter

PS Laurie's contribution was unreadable on my system??