birding-aus

Ross River sightings

To: <>
Subject: Ross River sightings
From: "Dicksons" <>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 11:38:10 +1000
Hi

Only recently jointed Birding-Aus so I thought I'd share some recent sightings from my local patch - the Ross River Bush Garden, at Aplin's Weir, Townsville.

Good views of two Great Crested Grebes yesterday, one in breeding plumage, the other non-br. Also saw 1 non-br bird on Wednesday.

Sighting of Little Kingfisher near Aplin's Weir for the third time in the past few months. Was able to get very close views.

A pair of Black-fronted Dotterels have become residents on a small series of puddles on the cement under Aplin's Weir. They have been seen almost daily since late March, always feeding in the one spot.

Yellow-billed Spoonbill at the Palmetum (near Nathan St bridge) yesterday, along with 20+ Hardheads & 30+ Pacific Black Ducks on the small lagoon plus 50+ Aus White Ibis in the trees.

Tim Dickson
Townsville