birding-aus

Double-banded Plover

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Double-banded Plover
From: Greg Oakley <>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:12:35 +0800
Hi everyone,

I spotted a Double-banded Plover at the Kerang sewerage ponds last Monday (in company
with many Red-capped Plovers and a few Red-kneed Dotterels).
It is listed as common in many of the field guides but I have never seen
one in this location before (over many years).

I'm not a wader expert, but apparently they breed in NZ and over-winter here in Oz.
Are they more common on the coast than in the interior wetland areas? Or have I
just been unlucky up to this point?

Cheers,
Greg