birding-aus

Re: Captive native birds

Subject: Re: Captive native birds
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 10:00:08 +1000
Penny Drake-Brockman suggested that it "might be more relevant than making it
very expensive to keep birds,
particularly the endangered and long-lived parrots and cockatoos, would be
controls on how they are kept."

One of the aspects of the proposed legislation it that owners of birds
would need to demonstrate that they have the facilities and knowledge to
adequately care for the birds.  This is particularly the case for species
such as the black cockatoos.  Mind you, there is a list of (I think) 62
exempt species that will include Sulphur-crested Cockatoo and Galah.  I
imagine that many of the long established species (that are now fully
domesticated and come in an incredible range of colours) such as Zebra
Finch, Cockatiel and probably Turquoise Parrot would be included in this
list.  Without really having a good look at the document I would be
reluctant to make to many more statements beyond this.

Cheers

David

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.