birding-aus

Washing Malta's dirty linen

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: Washing Malta's dirty linen
From: "david camilleri" <>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 15:27:17 -0400
Washing Malta's dirty linen
Greta Borg Carbott

June 2, 2002 9:00:00 AM CET

Malta's environmental problems have recently been hogging the spotlight,
even on the international scene: But how is this affecting tourism? Tourism
Minister MICHAEL REFALO speaks to Greta Borg Carbott about the situation.

snip
<<Another sore point for the tourism sector, is the hunting problem.
Newspapers, including The Malta Independent, receive hundreds of
anti-hunting letters from tourists and foreign visitors each year. Are these
a matter of concern for the tourism ministry?

?The number of letters from visitors to Malta is negligible. We get a lot of
letters from overseas, it?s true, but those are not visitors to Malta. And
most of them are from organised groups of people. Sometimes we get a pack of
50 postcards together, with the same wording,? he said.

?Most letters to the press are by people from countries where massive
demonstrations are held in support of hunting and where game hunting is a
lucrative business. I respect their opinion, but they should also accept
that ? similar to the situation in their own country ? we too have laws that
allow the practice of hunting and trapping.?

?We have demonstrated the political will to enforce the law, although I
accept that more manpower is required in this area. Any impartial observer
will tell you that there is more control now than there ever was even four
or five years ago.?

snip

Click on the link to read the full article
http://www.independent.com.mt/daily/newsview.asp?id=10019
Hi:  Note that (: -

The little enforcement that the Maltese government is doing is due to the
pressure of  the "We get a lot of letters from overseas".  The Maltese
governments have been saying for years that  they need more 'manpower'; they
do have more than enough manpower but they don't use it so as not to antagonize the
hunters lobby.

david.
david camilleri

http://www.MaltaTouristAction.org

Proact, campaigning for birds and their habitats .... your contribution
DOES make a difference.  Join the http://www.proactnow.org/team/

http://www.proactnow.org