birding-aus

Regent HE and Swift Parrot Survey at Bulga (Hunter region NSW) 26 May 02

To: <>
Subject: Regent HE and Swift Parrot Survey at Bulga (Hunter region NSW) 26 May 02
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 22:00:28 +1000

Today I conducted the above surveys with the assistance of Stan Jones and David Mitford at my usual areas in Bulga (in the NSW Hunter region around 200 km north-west of Sydney CBD). Though overcast, it was a mainly dry day with a moderate cool breeze.

The large numbers of both Yellow-faced and White-naped Honeyeaters were apparent so were the abundance of both Spotted and Striated Pardalotes (at one time a flock of a hundred or so Pardalotes, probably all Striated, flew between the eucalypts). However, we did not notice any of the Eucalypts in flower or Mistletoes in fruit.  Some of the good finds today included a single Wedge-tailed Eagle, an Australian Hobby, one Turquoise Parrot, Fan-tailed and Shinning Bronze-cuckoos, several of each Rose, Red-capped, Scarlet, Hooded and Eastern Yellow Robins, many Speckled Warblers (as often the case here, with many singing), a few mobs of Grey-crowned Babblers, loads of both Weebills and Buff-rumped Thornbills,  Brown Treecreepers (4), Brown-headed (40 plus) and a few Striped Honeyeaters, as well as large numbers of Double-barred Finches with a few Diamond Firetails (atleast 4) with them. What was interesting also was the number of over-wintering birds such as a few Rufous Songlarks (2-3), Rufous Whistlers, Restless Flycatcher, White-throated (1) and Western (3) Gerygones.

We thought we were going to go by the day without seeing any of the target species but this was no the case. Just before we were about to head back home, a SWIFT PARROT flew over the trees heading south giving its unmistakable call and showing clearly it red under wings. Great!

Edwin Vella