birding-aus

Grey Heron at Busselton WA

Subject: Grey Heron at Busselton WA
From: (Russell Woodford)
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 00:15:39 +1000
"Ken Rogers" <> on Tue, 21 May 2002 19:55:21 +1000 wrote:
> Hello Bozzers,
>
> The report of Australia's first Grey Heron is exciting but it's probably not
> the first.  The following passage concerns Ardea cinerea.
>
> "During my journey into the interior of South Australia in 1839, I saw a
> fine adult sample of this bird, but although I resorted to every possible
> stratagem in my power to get within shot of it, I regret to say that I was
> unsuccessful; I have since, however, received a skin direct from New South
> Wales."
>
> This was written by John Gould in his "Handbook to the Birds of Australia"
> published in 1865.
>
> There have been a few claims since then but HANZAB considered them all
> "unsubstantiated and unacceptable".
>
> Ken Rogers
>
> Birding-Aus is on the Web at
> www.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/home/birding/index.html
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message
> "unsubscribe birding-aus" (no quotes, no Subject line)

---
Russell Woodford
Music & Info Systems
Sacred Heart College Geelong

http://web.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/music/auralonline.html
VCE Music Mailing List:

This email and any attachments may be confidential and if you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information in this email.
If received in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and all
copies. The College does not guarantee that this email is virus or error free.
The attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the
user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting
directly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence
of the sender or not. The content and opinions in this email are not
necessarily those of the College.