birding-aus

Regent Honeyeaters and Swift Parrots at Wyee Point NSW

To: "steve roderick" <>, "David Geering" <>, <>, <>
Subject: Regent Honeyeaters and Swift Parrots at Wyee Point NSW
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 14:01:17 +1000
Hi Everyone,

On Tuesday 14 May, the HBOC had an outing to Wyee Point where much Swamp Mahogany is in flower and at one point, a person claimed to have seen 4 Swift Parrots although no one else saw the birds.
On Wednesday 15 May 2002 at 8.30 am Don & Val Moon returned to some of the Swamp Mahogany patches along the edge of Lake Macquarie about 1 km west of their house and saw some Regent Honeyeaters feeding in the Swamp Mahogany. They notified me and on Thursday morning, along with Tim Morris and Don Moon, we counted 11+ Regent Honeyeaters feeding in the Swamp Mahogany and hawking for insects in some adjoining trees. While we were there we first saw a single Swift Parrot and heard a few more, and later on a flock of 7 joined the Regent Honeyeaters in one particular tree. Other birds present included Little Lorikeets, Yellow-faced, Scarlet, White-naped, Fuscous, White-cheeked, Lewins & Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters, Eastern Spinebills, Little Wattlebirds and Silvereyes. This site is 33 08 27 S, 151 30 35 E.

On return to our car at Val & Don's house, there were two Swift Parrots feeding in a flowering Swamp Mahogany in their front yard, this is near to where the 4 Swifties were seen on Tuesday Lat, long 33 08 38 S, 151 30 54 E.

This is the fourth group of Regent Honeyeaters seen feeding in Swamp Mahogany in the Lake Macquarie area. Other sites ar Buttaba, Coal Point & Galgaba Reserve, South Swansea.  25 Regents were at Buttaba on 3 May and at least 3 were still present on 10 May, the South Swansea birds have now been present for 3 weeks, last seen 16 May 2002.

Hopefully some Swifties and Regents might just move a further 10 km south and turn up on the Central Coast, they are getting closer!

Alan Morris
(Note new address and telephone No.)
3 Murray Street Bateau Bay NSW 2261
Tel 02 43 342776