birding-aus

Borderline Atlasing Revisited

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Borderline Atlasing Revisited
From: Laurie&Leanne Knight <>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 17:51:49 +1000
On Saturday morning, Leanne and I were joined by Brian and Julie Moore on a
borderline traverse of  Wilsons Pk, from the Boonah Bordergate to the Teviot Gap
Road.  Quite a pleasant walk following some welcome overnight rain through a
range of habitats.  The undullating stroll along the fence from Hardcastle? Rd
near the the Boonah Bordergate to the base of the steep climb up would be a
pleasant stroll for the average birdwatcher - I saw a southern emu wren there
last time, and there is a little bit of sorghum grass [but not a lot of mature
sorghum there at the moment].

We saw turkeys in three locations, had an obscured view of a goshawk-sized
raptor flying overhead [about 30-40 metres up - which is higher off the deck
than I have seen grey goshawks flying], a red-browed tree-creeper quietly poking
about, and a red wattlebird and new holland honeyeater feeding in adjacent
flowering banksias [to my knowledge, neither species is common in the area -
possibly migrants? - in the case of new hollands, a species I would expect to
see along the coastal zone].

The usual pigeons were out and about, and I had the usual brief glimpse of a
rapidly departing albert's lyrebird on the southern fenceline heading down from
the summit [heading into "pigeon alley"].

Regards, Laurie.