birding-aus

Capertee Valley 26/4/02

Subject: Capertee Valley 26/4/02
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 13:27:35 +1100
Hello All,

I've been meaning to write a report of a day I spent in the Capertee Valley
with two American visitors on Friday 26th April but have had a very busy
week since then and it didn't get done. Irene Denton's excellent report of
her trip to the valley and surrounding area reminded me - thanks Irene, and
a pity we didn't bump into you! It seems there were quite a few birders in
the valley that weekend.

Irene and Robin did well to find the Regent Honeyeater as they have been
quite difficult to find in the valley these last few weeks. My clients and
I didn't have success with the Regents, but we did have a great day
nevertheless, the morning being particularly productive in the southern end
of the valley. Despite there being nothing significant in flower, we found
14 species of honeyeater, including Striped, Yellow-tufted, Fuscous,
Brown-headed, and plenty of Black-chinned in several locations feeding on
lerp.

Other highlights were a flock of Plum-headed Finches, including many
immatures at the gate to "The Crown", White-backed Swallows, a late Pallid
Cuckoo and a Rufous Songlark at the Nioka gate, a beautiful male Rose Robin
and Sittellas at Coco Creek, two Glossy-Black-Cockatoos (perhaps the same
two seen by Irene et al as they were flying towards Vicki's place),
Speckled Warblers and Rockwarblers near Glen Davis, and not unexpectedly,
plenty of Diamond Firetails, Hooded Robins and Crested Shrike-tits
throughout the valley. A pair of Scarlet Robins showing off their good
looks only a couple of metres from us was an added bonus at Capertee before
we drove into the valley. Our total for the day was 93 species, with most
of the summer migrants already gone.

A late afternoon dam-watch gave us a chance to get better views of at least
a dozen species coming in to drink while we relaxed over afternoon tea. A
great way to end the day's birding, before heading out of the valley
against a magnificent backdrop of cliffs glowing deep crimson in the
setting sun.

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets