birding-aus

Crested Pigeon

To: <>
Subject: Crested Pigeon
From: "Paul and Irene Osborn" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 13:41:35 +1000

> > In the last 20 years the Atlas is showing range increases for the
Crested
> > Pigeon in the Perth - Busselton area, Port MacDonnell area of SA,
> Melbourne
> > - Port Phillip area, the ACT area, and the entire length of the NSW
South
> > Coast south of Sydney.
> >
> > Rory Poulter

Just to give some balance and show that the Crested Pigeons don't get it all
their own way. We have lived on a small property near Cooranbong, NSW (~120
km north of Sydney) since 1977. When we first moved here Crested Pigeons
were regulars. Around 1992 we saw our first Bar-shouldered Doves in the
area, on the property over the road. Subsequent to this we started seeing
them occassionally in our place and now we regularly have flocks of about 15
BSDs in our yard. They have more or less excluded the Crested Pigeons all
together (we have seen a single CP on three occasions this year).
Thankfully, the Bar-shouldered Doves have not excluded the small numbers of
Peaceful Doves that have been regular visitors since about 1987.

Paul Osborn