birding-aus

Crested Pigeon

Subject: Crested Pigeon
From: (Russell Woodford)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:06:23 +1000
Crested Pigs were once almost unknown around Geelong but they've been moving
into the area steadily in the last few years.  Sorry - that shold read "the
number of sightings in the Geelong area has increased steadily in the last few
years" - but I think there's evidence to support both statements. For example:

There is a 30-yr-old single record from Geelong Grammar, and nothing more until
Don Greaves located a single bird there a little over a year ago.  Now he sees
2 or 3 birds fairly regularly. The same seems to be the case for Bacchus Marsh
Rd near the gaol, and perhaps for parts of Connewarre.

I have a friend in England who saw his first Collared Dove in Eastern Europe in
the early 1960s, when this bird was scarce or absent from Britain.  Now it is
very common, at least in the south.  There has been a gradual move north and
west.  I wonder if Crested Pigs are doing the same thing here (but moving
mainly south).  With any luck they will displace Spotted Turtledoves.  I live
in hope!

Russell Woodford