birding-aus

Honeyeater migration rates

Subject: Honeyeater migration rates
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:26:59 +1100
As Jill Dark said in her posting yesterday, the honeyeater migration is in
full swing in the Blue Mountains. As I work from home, I am able to keep
tabs on the daily fluctuations of migrating birds. This morning (25 April)
I counted the following going over my house in a 15 minute period
(10.30-10.45).

Honeyeaters  688   (at a rough estimate these were about 90% Yellow-faced
and 10% White-naped)
Silvereyes     49
Pardalotes     30   (approx. 75% Spotted, 25% Striated)

These are the best numbers I've had so far this year, working out at over
3000 bph (birds per hour). For the past few days they have started going
over as early as 7am. They usually reach a peak around late morning and
fizzle out in the afternoons. I reckon on a day like today there would be
something like 10,000 honeyeaters crossing my little street over the course
of the day!

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets