birding-aus

S.W.Qld. News.

To: <>
Subject: S.W.Qld. News.
From: "Julie Lynn McLaren" <>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:14:23 +0930
We've had some lovely sightings here in the last week.
Firstly, on 20th April at about 9a.m., Richard and Carole Green from Brisbane had their telescope set up watching Red-kneed Dotterels and Black-tailed Native Hens which were in a huge big flood out from a bore drain just to the East of the quarters when we noticed a strange little bird in the mud on the far side busily diving it's bill into the mud. Carole thought it looked like a plover, so inside for the book, and as she described it's markings whilst watching through the scope, Richard was trying to identify it in the book.We all took turns at the scope and book and watched it for well over half an hour. Definitely a Ringed Plover! Then when I got the BOCA magazine on Tuesday what should be in it but an article about the same bird.I flicked over to the page and thought,'well that one is a lot darker than the one we saw', so was very relieved when the photographer said that because of certain conditions the photos came out a darker than the bird actually was.
Secondly, we had a 13 year old boy here for 3 days with his parents and his knowledge and enthusiasm for birds was absolutely outstanding.Fortunately he was rewarded with some lovely sightings:Red-capped Robin sitting in Acacia less than 10 metres from the quarters, his first sighting of Major Mitchell's, Crimson Chat, Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush,Blue-bonnets, Bourke's Parrots, Mulga Parrots, Black-breasted Buzzards and quite a few more that I can't remember off-hand. It seemed as though the birds just appeared for his benefit as most of them aren't all that readily seen.He really wanted to see a Spotted Nightjar and Grey Falcon but we couldn't come up with those 2.
We had an Australian Hobby zooming around the house environs yesterday,alerted to it's presence by alarm calls from other birds. Aren't they incredibly fast? We've also seen Little Eagles about quite a bit.

Cheers, Julie.

Julie McLaren.
"Bowra", Cunnamulla,Qld.4490

PH.  O746551238