birding-aus

Buff-banded Rail in SE Melbourne

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Buff-banded Rail in SE Melbourne
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 20:48:34 +1000
I went to Elsternwick Park today to check out the swan
situation (and for the dog to walk me). The interlopers had
gone.

But the Rail was still there in the small rush area just
east of the St. Kilda St. bridge over the Elster
Creek/Elwood Canal.  The first sighting (on 31/3) was at
1030 am (summer time?).  This was at 1000 eastern standard
time.

Michael Norris
Bayside Friends of Native Wildlife

PS The maniacal cackling frog (Litoria peronii) we found in
Sandringham got a mention in "The Age" on Monday in a report
of the Melbourne Water community frog census.

PPS Hi Peter - this is the first record I know of this
species in Bayside.