birding-aus

Re: Longevity or "Shortevity" Banded birds

Subject: Re: Longevity or "Shortevity" Banded birds
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:44:34 +1000
Come now David - you must have seen that one coming. You should know by now that when banding items come up the same old arguments get used (over and over and over). The problem with using the work e-mail that doesn't seem to have a filter mechanism on it.

A couple of things I would add to this never-ending loop. Any bird that is currently alive may be dead by the time that you finish reading this sentence. It may be hit by a car, killed by a predator (possibly after being flushed by a bird watcher) or die of a heart attack. Banding may increase mortality slightly, but I think there are probably far greater influences on survival rate, such as habitat clearance. What the figures that David listed showed, that at least some individuals can survive the stresses of capture. If all birds died quickly, banding would not be permitted to happen (and the banders wouldn't want to anyway).

The issue of bleeding is a separate issue. I certainly don't do it when I am banding (yes I am part of the evil empire), and is usually the case when genetic studies are being done (usually through Universities). This process would require a separate Ethics Authority (at least in NSW) and would have to be done under strict supervision. I guess the penguins case would be done by vets to assess health effects (I am really guessing here).

I have seen the records of "animal carer" groups rehabilitating and realeasing Foxes and Indian Mynas so I would want to carefully filter the credentials of the arguer on a chat group (just as I do with Birding-Aus).

To say that we know everything already so we should stop banding is ridiculous. We still know so little about so many things (not just birds) that the more research of any kind has to be of some use. Otherwise we may as well give up now, and just plod on with our ignorant, destructive lives.

I guess what I am trying to say here is that banders are also birders. They care for there animals (I know I am distraught when birds die) but many important things can be worked out from banding. I also know that there are people are opposed to it, and that emotion can sometimes be a very strong driver.

Enough waffle on this endless argument - I'll be back next week with some twitching questions.

Cheers,
Peter
P.S. I am happy to waste my money in any way that I want to.