birding-aus

Flame Robins in burnt coupes, Blue Range, Vic.

To: "" <>
Subject: Flame Robins in burnt coupes, Blue Range, Vic.
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 21:46:02 +1000
We spent much of the weekend driving round the forest roads within reach
of Thornton (near Eildon, Vic).
Several coupes in Alpine Ash country had been very recently burnt (still
smoking in places) after timber was cut. These blackened areas turned
out to be full of Flame Robins flitting about; the males were very
conspicuous as they perched on blackened stumps or fallen branches.
There were plenty of brown birds too.
We had seen only two birds in unburnt forest (by the Quarry near Dudley
Saddle) but we found that each burnt coupe in the Blue Range had swarms
of Flame Robins, all apparently feeding.
As Julius Sumner Miller used to say, Why is this so?
Anthea Fleming in Ivanhoe, Vic.