birding-aus

Townsville

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Townsville
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:38:32 +1000

I fly into Townsville on April 28th. to do 2 weeks volunteer work at an Aboriginal School.  All this is a very new adventure for me.

While Townsville I am sure I will have spare time to do some birding, again I would be delighted to receive any tips

After Townsville I am going to Cairns and go on a tour with Klaus.

I think I may hire a car and drive to Cairns, there are probably 100’s of birding spots on the way but I would appreciate a few tips.

.

I had the pleasure of taking a Canadian birder, in Melbourne for the Environmental Conference, to Anakie Gorge, north of Geelong, to join in with Margaret Cameron’s group.  It was a great learning experience.  Margaret & Chris. had incredible hearing and could identify birds long before they appeared.  I have come to birding late in life and seem not to have very much ‘free’ memory  to remember calls but am working on that.  Learning to listen in the bush is essential.

Shirley Cameron