birding-aus

Black Falcons et al

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Black Falcons et al
From: "Bob & Sadhana Cook" <>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 22:40:08 +1000
This talk of Black Falcons coincides with my first sighting of Black Falcons for a long time just yesterday (Sat).  Have started a trip to Flinders Ranges and saw a pair soaring together between Jamestown and Caltowie (Northern end of Clare Valley, North of Adelaide, S.A.), approx. 33.12S 138.32E.

Later sighted at least 2000 Banded Stilts and (perhaps) a hundred or so Black-winged Stilts scattered all over the "Bird Lake(s)" area right at the edge of Port Augusta township.  Black Swan, Aust Grebe, Grey Teal, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and Red-kneed Dotterel also in this area.

Today went out to Lake Gilles Conservation Park, to the exact spot (33.04.37 - 136.43.22) advised by Nick Talbot on 22nd March.  Found Rufous Treecreepers (3) there and another one at another spot about 3 kms East.  Also found Blue-breasted Fairy-wren at the second spot (33.03.25 - 136.45.37).  Could not locate Western Yellow Robin.  Nick said he saw no other birds in these areas, but I was there quite early and also saw:  Port Lincoln Ringneck, Galah, Chestnut-rumped Thornbill, Striated Pardalote, heaps of Spiny-cheeked HE, Yellow-plumed HE, White-fronted HE, Red Wattlebird, Willie Wagtail, Jacky Winter, White-winged Triller, White-browed Babbler, Crested Bellbird and Aust. Raven.

Tried unsuccessfully for Redthroat at Arid Lands Gardens in Port Augusta, but did see Zebra Finches (always cute) and Chirruping Wedgebills there.  Also picked up a single Elegant Parrot near the Power Station just South of Port Augusta.

I recently saw my first Purple-crowned Lorikeets at Murray-Sunset NP, after many frustrating tries elsewhere.  Now in the Caravan Park at Port Augusta there are several dozen PCL's zooming around and in a couple of flowering eucalypts right beside our caravan!!

Bob Cook