birding-aus

Trip report: Powlett River (Vic)

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Trip report: Powlett River (Vic)
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 21:22:13 +1000
Hi All,
    Following Robbie Brown's report (30/3) we finally got down to the Powlett River to, hopefully, find the Blue-winged Parrots which would be a new sighting for me.
    East of Kilcunda, the turn-off into the mouth of the Powlett River is well signposted.
     Parking the vehicle on the south-eastern side of the one-lane bridge, we walked upstream for all of 1 minute before the first 3 Blue-winged Parrots took to the air then landed on a fence.
Walking slowly towards them, another group, then another, took off.  Setting  up the telescope, I had excellent views of the 50 plus parrots either sitting on the fence or feeding in the area.
An added bonus were 3 Flame Robins (2m1f), Richards Pipit, White-fronted Chats,Superb Fairy-wrens, Striated Calamanthus, Masked Lapwing, White-faced Heron, Silver Gulls, Little Black Cormorant, Magpie, White Ibis, Willie Wagtail, Magpie-lark and Raven all within 50 metres of where we'd parked the vehicle.
      Downstream from the bridge a Great Egret, Little Pied Cormorant and a single Swan (imm) were added.
       Knowing the area very well (Ian's been fishing here for over 40 years and I've been birding for the last 15)  we walked to the mouth of the river and searched for Double-banded Plovers which arrive here every year over the winter months.
        Being a Saturday, there were quite a few people with dogs, so we headed east along the beach.  The tide was out (12.30pm) and the rock platforms were exposed.
        Walking for approximately 1 1/2k's we counted 11 Hooded Dotterels (8 adults 3 imm)
30+ Double-bandeds,  7 Pacific Gulls, Welcome Swallows, Crested Tern.
         Returning to the unnamed picnic area (Ti Tree is the other picnic area) the bush birds also didn't disappoint.  Brush & Red Wattlebird, Brown Thornbill, White-browed Scrubwren, New Holland Honeyeater, Grey Fantail, Eastern Spinebill, Yellow Robin, possible Brown Goshawk, Silvereye, Red-browed Firetail whilst out in the paddocks Eastern Rosella and Black-shouldered Kites.  A great area.

      GPS reading for the bridge across the Powlett River:     38 34'26"S  145 30'40"E

      Happy birding
      Marlene.