birding-aus

Great Plant Mystery SOLVED!!! GREAT NEWS!!

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Great Plant Mystery SOLVED!!! GREAT NEWS!!
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 15:23:54 -0800 (PST)
"S.P" <> wrote:

Dear All, especially all those from the Birding-Aus
email list. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING and BEING
PART IN HELPING TO WORK OUT WHAT THE 'NEW' PLANT
WAS/IS!!!

I've just had a call from John Reid of the national
Herbarium asking me if I'd take the plant back and
re-plant it!! (I left some soil around the base to
make sure it survived & could be grown for a while if
necessary whilst they figured out what it was).

I guess you all know what that means!

It turned out to be a rare and very significant
population of locally endangered plant, an uncommon
indigenous species called: LAWRENIA SPICATA or Salt
Lawrencia.

John is today writing a letter to formally advise, and
has also said that it has been collected before but
from around Tooradin. He also said that there are a
few small communities, of the plant near, a creek on
eastern side of the Port Philip bay somewhere (Korroit
or something like that) and in saltmarsh areas mostly
east towards Wilson's Prom, as well as little bits of
it west around Corrangamite.

I am so happy! I can stop searching internet now & get
on with other things, like writing perhaps yet another
submission to Bayport application!

The only problem is that when I went back to the site
to take more photos the other day - I had found
another unusual plant (obviously indig. this time but
not appearing anywhere else around here) - but now
that John has given me his e-mail address I can send
him the photo instead of digging it up!

It's not a new weed, it's not a weed!!... (and it's on
our council managed foreshore)(....and apparently Esso
has an environmental improvement plan that was
recently submitted to the EPA, whatever that means,
for the adjoining land.. so perhaps they could help if
there's any money in that, or at least clearing the
weeds on the outside of the boundary with the
foreshore!)

John A. Gamblin for and with permission from
Councillor Snez Plunkett.

This makes me realise, just how many as yet
undiscovered plants we have in Oz, totters off to find
a rare Vic. Tony Russell Lupin.

 ~^D>>>>>>