birding-aus

Osprey at Phillip Island Vic

Subject: Osprey at Phillip Island Vic
From: John Boyce <>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 21:40:31 +1000
Hi everyone,
whilst walking to Observation pt. (5/4/02 3.00pm)at the north eastern
end of Phillip Island in Westernport Bay, Vic I saw a juvenile Osprey
eating a very large fish perched in a dead tree.  This is the first
Osprey I have seen in Vic and I  had great views with spotting scope as
it dismembered the fish slowly.  The bird was still there an hour later
as I returned from Observation Pt but flew off as I walked by but I saw
it down at the cowes pier later at night flying past (while buying the
Friday night fish and chips). Does anyone know if there have been
previous sightings on Phillip Island?
Down at Observation Point things weren't nearly as exciting as I was
there at a very low tide (high is usually much better) but the birds
included
Caspian Tern 12
Crested Tern
Pacific Gull 200
Pied Oystercatcher 100
Great Egret 4
White-faced Heron
Royal Spoonbill
Chestnut Teal
Grey Teal
Common Greenshank
Whimbrel 2
Eastern Curlew 1
Bar-tailed Godwit 50
Red-necked Stint
Red-capped Plover juv 1

Also it appears access to the point is now totally restricted, does
anyone know if birdwatchers can legally gain access. I've been counting
birds down there for about 15 years so would be disappointed if I was
completely excluded, although it would be nice if they could legally
keep the dogs away from the point.
Best Wishes
John Boyce