birding-aus

Great Ocean Road -Victorian Deserts.

To: <>
Subject: Great Ocean Road -Victorian Deserts.
From: "GEORGE OAKES" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 16:58:35 -0800
Hi Ausnetters,
Firstly, I would like to thank all those who provided me with information of where to find birds on the Great Ocean Road and in the Victorian Deserts.The information ,especially the suggestion to look up the archives from Michael Norris was extremely helpful.
We found the Rufous Bristlebird both at Loch Ard gorge and London Bridge, however, not during the day when there were hordes of tourists. In both cases we went back to these sites at 7pm - with daylight saving the sun set at about 7.40pm - and saw them on paths to the lookouts, in one case only 5 m. away.At this time there were only one or two others apart from ourselves.
Unfortunately, we did not have much time in the desert parks.In the Hattah -Kulkyne Park Lake Mournpul was empty and Lake Hattah had very little water however the night before we arrived here they had 36mm.rain on the Murray.

George Oakes