birding-aus

Glossy Black-Cockatoos

To: <>
Subject: Glossy Black-Cockatoos
From: "Richard Turner" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 17:33:57 +1000
Dear Readers,
It was good to see the number of replies to the request from Judie Peet. especially as I have been interested in the species for many years. My interests in the Glossy Black-Cockatoo--GLBC--have extended to counts of the birds in logged compartments  within forest at Eden for State Forests, to preparing a discourse on the species for National Parks.

No, I do not believe that GLBC forage on fruits of River Oak. Whenever an observer has made that claim, I have been able to determine that it was a Gang Gang Cockatoo or some other parrot that was doing the foraging.

Yes, Crimson Rosellas, finches, and no doubt, other species eat River Oak cones and/or seeds. While on other species, I have seen Rainbow Lorikeets foraging on Allocasuarina littoralis.

I have seen and reported GLBC foraging on Allocasuarina torulosa (their favourite ), A. littoralis, A. distyla and A. gymnanthera.

The last species mentioned is fascinating, because it is only a shrub, yet there is a thriving population of CLBC on Goulbourn River National Park, and these large birds seem to depend on the one species of shrub .Bear in mind that I would have reported this bird in Casuarina aff. distyla in 1981, because that was the current botanical name.
I am delighted to answer any queries that this report may conjure up.

From Dick Turner, Lapstone, Blue Mountains