birding-aus

Autumn on the Bellarine

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Autumn on the Bellarine
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 23:56:50 +1000
Hi everyone

I didn't get much chance to go birding over Easter, but I've noticed the
usual autumnal things happening.  The most obvious is having one less hour
of daylight at the end of the day (I'm really not a morning person so that
means one hour less in total).  Other things of note around the Bellarine
Peninsula (S and SE of Geelong, Vic) have been:

Musk Lorikeets seem to be everywhere now and are taking over from
Purple-crowned as the obvious lorikeet in parks and gardens (PC's and
Rainbows are also around, and occasionally a Little).

Cattle Egrets are moving about.

Waders are getting very restless, fat, and in some cases colourful, so I
guess they'll be heading north again soon.  I went looking for the
apocryphal Pec Sandpipers at Lake Victoria, Point Lonsdale yesterday, but
only found Red-necked Stints, many coming into summer plumage.

All up, I feel quite inadequate because nobody in Victoria has been able to
come up with anything quite as spectacular and topical as a Laughing Gull on
1st April.  And no, I would NOT have believed it either.

Anyway, I think we should give Trevor Ford a round of applause for one of
the best items on this mailing list this year.

And congratulations to Chris Hankel who leads a certain competition I've
promised not to mention.  He picked 7 out of 8 games this week and leads
David Ovington by 1. A big pack follows on 5, and even more on 4.  Everyone
managed to get at least one correct this round....

Russell Woodford