birding-aus

Capertee Autumn

To: Birding-Oz <>
Subject: Capertee Autumn
From: Timothy Hyde <>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:58:25 +1100
Arriving at our Capertee Valley  patch last week
it was if  someone had  pushed the "Autumn" button.

First sightings for the year included a Black Eared
and Pallid Cuckoo. Then the Chestnut rumped Heathwren
gave us extended views, as it had at this time last year..

A flock of 25 -30 Rainbow  Bee-eaters obviously felt
it was time to start heading north.

Also raptors who seemed to be keeping a low profile
over the last month or so, seemed to be around.
Our resident Little Eagles were in serious display mode
and also ticked off WedgeTailed, Falcon, Black Shouldered
Kite and Hobby.

As David Geering mentioned the Regents HE?s are
out in force. We have had them around since Xmas,
scattered singles and pairs, but things have changed.
You know it when they are in the birdbath at the back
door. They are flocking more and not just feeding on
mistletoe. The biggest group we saw was 10, which is
pretty exciting and they seem to be around all day
rather than just the morning/ evening feeding.

As mentioned, if you are heading to the Valley,
fairly easy views from the roadside
and you should get the other Capertee favourites there
as well - Hooded Robins, Brown Tree Creepers, Babblers,
Crested Shrike Tit etc.

heres to happy and safe birding
over the weekend

Timothy Hyde