birding-aus

Update Autumn birds...

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Update Autumn birds...
From: Barry McLean <>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 02 13:44:58 +0100
Hi again,

My apologies for posting a half-finished email on 16/3, it escaped from
my outbox!

Resident birds omitted include Weebill, Silvereye & Ravens (I think both
Australian and Little)

Goldfinch, an unidentified Warbler, Mistletoebirds, Long-billed(?)
Corella, a single Eastern Rosella with too much red (perhaps a hybrid
with Crimson), are with  us occasionally and I have seen a Tawny
Frogmouth once and heard Boobook twice.

Since 16/3 we have seen our first Black-fronted Dotterel, Southern
Whiteface and a glimpse of an Eastern Spinebill or Crescent Honeyeater.
There also appears to have been an influx of White-plumed Honeyeaters
during the week.

All the male Fairy-wrens have lost their colour, a process that seemed to
only take a couple of weeks.  The Bee-eaters are still with us daily, we
hear them often (usually early morning and late afternoon but tend to see
them only in the late afternoon when they are feeding. I have still not
noticed any definite direction of movement.As you can see there are no
'special' birds but they are all marvellous. We are still waiting for our
first Cuckoo, Pigeon, Woodswallow and Robin.

         Barry & Roberta McLean
         'Koornong'
         Long Gully Rd
         Violet Town  Vic  3669