birding-aus

Marlo Ringed Plover STILL there

Subject: Marlo Ringed Plover STILL there
From: "Charles E V Nixon" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:00:33 +1100
As it is a long trip from either Melbourne or Sydney to Marlo I
thought it worthwhile to report that Reg Clark and I saw the bird
yesterday noon ( Mon. March 18 ). It was on the highest ridge of
the beach c. 400m E of the mouth of the Snowy, with large
numbers of Red-capped  and immature Double-banded Dotterels.
        The previous evening we failed to find it at a lower tide level.
With several mudflat islands in the estuary to feed upon, most of
the small plovers had deserted the beach altogether.
        It is perhaps also worth observing that the water levels in the
estuary bore little resemblance to the state of the tide on the ocean
side of the beach ( or indeed the "official" high tide times). There
appeared to be a considerable time lag in the estuary, due, I
suppose, to a complex combination of currents, wind and land
configuration - at least a couple of hours.
        A six-footer may expect the water in the estuary 100m. E of
the Mot's Beach car-park at fairly low tide to tickle the groin and
wet any nether garment; shorter souls may have to hold equipment
aloft.
        Ted Nixon