birding-aus

Re: Access-friendly Birding Sites

Subject: Re: Access-friendly Birding Sites
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:39:37 +1000
Both Terry and Ralph want information about access-friendly birding sites.
 I appreciate that birding can entail scrambling up mountains, or through
semi-jungle, or wading chest-deep through rising tides (as Ralph put it)
but this needn't be the case.

If you have access to a motor vehicle I can think of lots of great places
to go birding and not go more than a few metres from the car.  It would be
fair to say that on the 2001 twitchathon our team recorded a very high
proportion of our 218 species without venturing more than 20 metres from
the car.

The Capertee Valley is a great place to bird without necessarily requiring
a lot of walking.  A lot of the birds are seen along the roadsides (a
point that has the locals concerned that it is only a matter of time
before a birder becomes roadkill - and only have themselves to blame).
There is a well known wheel chair bound twitcher in Sydney that regular
birds the Capertee Valley.

Its worth a thought.

David

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.