birding-aus

Grey-crowned Babblers drinking

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Grey-crowned Babblers drinking
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 20:17:38 +1000
g'day all,
I have just spent 1-1/2 days birding in the Cloncurry district.

I will post a Bird report at a later date.. to include a Black Bittern, 3 Black-necked Stork, 15 Great-crested Grebes.

On the way home I dropped into the well known Clem Walton Park site just off the Barkly Hwy a little less than halfway back to the Isa.
Apart from a large pool immediately under the dam wall the river ponds are virtually dry. The nearby Lake Corella is very empty.

But at bit of sludge I observed 5 Grey-crowned Babblers dip their beaks into some water and have a good drink. The others may have drunk before my observation

I see the G-c B almost every time I go birding. This is the first time I have seen them drinking ! Temp this afternoon about 37C

On one occasion only, I have seen them bathing.  They did this one at a time, until all 11 had jumped into the water, and almost instantly jump out, shake themselves and resume their chatter and feeding.

The ubiquitous Willy Wagtail is another bird I have only seen the once drinking.

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.