birding-aus

Westernport Ramsar alert

To: "birding" <>
Subject: Westernport Ramsar alert
From: "Cr. Margaret Bell" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 20:21:13 +1100
Please note that Bayport have applied to dump "clean" waste on their site
which abuts Westernport, between Bayview and Jerimiah Rds. I have some
concerns about the alteration of topography and other. Would appreciate any
informed comment about any possible threats to the Ramsar site.Margaret Bell

> The below is quote from the Planning officer in the Mornington Peninsula
shire.

> The application is to place clean fill (from building sites) on the land,
> and to undertake associated site works and removal of vegetation, etc.
The
> works are to be undertaken in accordance with a Staging & Environmental
> Plan.  Further details about the proposed filling are as follows:
> § The fill to be placed on the site is to be clean fill from development
> sites.  It is estimated that approx. 77,000 cubic metres of fill will be
> accommodated.  No putrescible or general residential waste would be
> permitted.
> § The fill would be placed on the land in stages (3 stages commencing at
the
> Bayview Road frontage and progressing in a southerly direction).
> § Prior to the placement of fill on the property, the top soil would be
> stripped.  This will be retained on the site in earth bunds and, following
> levelling and site compaction, would be respread and sown with grasses and
> planted out where appropriate with natural vegetation.
> § Bund walls (comprising the stock-piled top soil) will be developed to
> minimise any waste water overflow discharge into Westernport Bay.
Further,
> stormwater run-off would be directed to an existing dam located in the
> western half of the property (holding dam).  The applicant seems to be
well
> aware of the need to protect the environmental values of the coastline and
> inter-tidal areas - and the strategies proposed are (I believe) consistent
> with this objective.
> § Following completion of filling, it is likely that the site would be
> offered for industrial development and use.
> § Access to the site is proposed to be obtained from Jeremiahs Road
> (location of entry is not shown however on the plans).
> § The road Bayview and Jeremiah Road frontages are proposed to be fenced
> deter illegal dumping, etc.  The other boundaries are not accessible
(being
> on Westernport Bay) and are not proposed to be fenced.
> § Vegetation is to be removed from all but a 20 metre strip along the
> frontage.  Extensive replanting with native vegetation is proposed to
> compensate for the vegetation removed.
> § It is not proposed to undertake any works within 20 metres of the
> perimeter boundary of the foreshore or areas determined by the Melbourne
> Water Corporation as being affected by 1 in 100 year storm events.
> § A project management plan prepared by the applicant (Bayport Group) has
> been prepared and needs to be read in conjunction with the plans.
>
> The application has been referred to EPA, NRE and Aboriginal Victoria.
Also