birding-aus

Spicers Traverse

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Spicers Traverse
From: Laurie&Leanne Knight <>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 19:08:48 +1000
I went for a bit of an atlassing bushwalk up and along Spicers Peak, which is
part of the Great Divide, just south of Cunningham's Gap in SEQ.  I met a friend
from Toowoomba, and we made our way from Governors Chair along the ridge to the
Eastern Summit of Spicers - a fairly steep ascent with a few scrambles along the
way.  Not too many birds about, just the odd scarlet honey eater and a few
welcome swallows circling around the summit in a swift like manner.  We had
morning tea on the summit - just the occasional eastern yellow robin poking its
beak in.

We then set off along the spine of Spicers Peak - quite a pleasant walk with a
pad most of the way, and quite a few good view points - one rock slab had a
particularly good view to the south, with a vista from Cons Plain to Mt Barney.
The rainforest wattles were flowering nicely, and the thornbills, warblers and
scrub wrens were the main birds moving about in the forest [lots of hoop pines].
 We saw a group of five top knot pigeons flying up Hell Hole Ck, a lone bassian
thrush near the saddle, and a few wedgies soaring over the convict road.

We had lunch on another pleasant slab past the western peak, where we could see
a newish house in a cleared patch on the ridge running south west from Spicers -
one of those splendid isolation spots that some how was freeholded in the past.
One of the wedgies cruised around, and there was a rose robin, a brown pigeon
and some yellow tails in the background.

We found our way down to the convict road - quite a few yellow tufted HEs and
musk lorikeets about, along with a lone restless flycatcher, the odd white naped
honeyeater and a large number of bell birds.

I went home via Moggerah Dam - which was very low.  I didn't mean to call in on
the dam, but stopped to rescue a long-necked shell-backed amphibious reptile
that was hunched up in the middle of the road.  The bugger made a bit of a mess
crawling about in the car while I was driving it to the edge of the dam.

Saw a few weeros just outside the limits of Ipswich a few kays south of Peak
View - I do wonder if they are gradually making their way towards Brisbane.

Got home before dark.

LK