birding-aus

Fw: foxes in tasmania - please assist

To: <>
Subject: Fw: foxes in tasmania - please assist
From: "Andrew Stafford" <>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 16:33:39 +1100
Dear all,

I have forwarded my own email re Tasmanian foxes to the list. I don't mind anyone cutting and pasting, forwarding to friends to sign, etc as I believe this is potentially the most catastrophic environmental disaster this country has seen in decades - although I do believe individual letters make more of an impact on politicians than chain mail.

While I don't wish to clog the list, I can only second Robert Read's appeals on this subject. This is too important an issue to wish away. For all the skirmishes that take place on birding-aus this is something I'm sure everyone can agree on.

The addresses again:

Show them you care!

AS

Dear Dr Kemp,

I am writing to you to plead for immediate federal assistance in the fight against foxes in Tasmania.

As you will be aware, a small number of foxes have recently become established in the state. The ecological implications of their introduction (whether deliberate or accidental) is immeasurable.

At present, Tasmania still supports healthy populations of many species pushed to extinction or near-extinction on the mainland by feral predators.

The time to act upon this disaster is extremely short. Foxes begin breeding in the approaching winter months.

With the abundance of natural food and lack of competitors, the fox population will quickly become unmanageable in the absence of a rapid coordinated response by both State and Federal governments.

It is unrealistic to expect the Tasmanian government to cope with the financial burden of this operation alone; at any rate, saving Australian fauna from environmental catastrophe is in the interest of all Australians.

This is a problem that requires an immediate and massive strike-first approach. However, a cursory glance at the ongoing cost of mainland fox control operations, and of saving endangered species, should be sufficient incentive to deal with the issue as an immediate priority - just as one would deal with an oil spill or pollution disaster.

Failure to act immediately will doubtless see an explosion of foxes and a massive diminution of the Tasmanian fauna (which plays a vital role in the state's tourism industry). The government will also be rightly cursed by future generations, who will lament forever the lost opportunity to nip the problem in the bud from the start.

Sincerely,