birding-aus

Ballina Little Terns

To: Mike Carter <>, Chris Corben <>
Subject: Ballina Little Terns
From: jilldening <>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 15:34:36 +1100
Mike, Chris,

I'm at the beginning of the learning curve at this, and am earnestly trying
to get my head around the progression of moult in Little Terns (LITE), so as
to be able to separate them in the field. It is devilishly hard, but I'm a
stayer. I have the disadvantage of not having handled them in the field.

To add my two bob's worth:
There is a specimen in breeding plumage in the Qld museum which is
completely without the dark tip on the beak. I thought initially that it may
have been misidentified, but on closer examination I could see that it was
indeed a Little and not a Fairy. I am fairly certain it was collected in
Moreton Bay. Most of the terns in the museum were collected in the storm
season, as I think I recall this one was (ie between Jan and April).

On 14.2.02 we saw a multi-flagged LITE in breeding plumage with no black tip
on the yellow beak. I recently learned that multi-flagging does not
necessarily indicate Aussie breeders, as all LITE were multi-flagged until
1998 when they stopped multi-flagging the birds considered likely to belong
to the northern population. (Those birds now have an orange flag - if Vic
banded- and a metal band.)

Does anyone know whether the Vic Museum has a decent range of LITE skins? Or
even any idea of how many? I would like to have a look at them if the
collection is good. There are about 35 in the Qld museum, but with most of
them cyclone collections (in breeding plumage), there is a lack of
representation for the months leading up to Xmas.

In Caloundra, SEQld, I have a lot of LITE currently without the dark carpal
bar. I had hoped that the absence of a carpal bar could be used for a short
time as an indicator of population origin, but now I'm not so sure. I have a
feeling I have seen birds going into breeding plumage without a carpal bar,
but I am relying on memory, and can't locate the notes to find the date.

For instance, I have received an opinion that the carpal bar is only absent
when the bird is coming out of breeding plumage, but if that is the case,
then I must have a lot of the Aussie breeders on the Caloundra sandbanks at
the moment, and I think that unlikely. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Cheers

Jill
--
Jill Dening