birding-aus

hibernation and Australian birds

To: Andrew Taylor <>
Subject: hibernation and Australian birds
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:25:58 +1100
Andrew Taylor wrote:

>Movement/migration is easier for birds than many animals.
The Mountain
>Pygmy Possums which hibernate in the Australian Alps, don't
have the
>option of moving to areas 100s km away during the colder
months.

(i)  This is true of course - MPPs are woeful fliers; but
Palaearctic alpine birds in general CAN fly, but still choose
to live in places they might otherwise just fly away from.

(ii) Why do not more species of birds utilise the taller bits
of the Australian Alps in summer?

Maybe my earlier musing was a bit poorly drafted, but I think
it's point (ii) that I'm most interested in hearing
speculation about.

All things considered though, I'm enjoying this thread more
than some we've had recently ......

L.

Lawrie Conole
2/37 Myrnong Crescent, Ascot Vale Vic 3032

AH 03 9370 3928  Mob 0419 588 993

Senior Zoologist
Ecology Australia Pty Ltd
88 B Station Street, Fairfield Vic 3078