birding-aus

Pectoral Sands?

To: "Birding-Aus (Forum)" <>
Subject: Pectoral Sands?
From: "Chris Corben" <>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 06:26:04 +1100
Gooday Colin

> Do they ALWAYS, without fail, have the distinct demarcation between
> chest and belly as displayed in all the books, or, is there a time, maybe
> during moult, that this line is less definite? Any advice readily
accepted!

I have seen some Pecs which had greatly reduced indications of both the
pectoral streaking and the demarcation at the lower border. These appeared
to me to be birds in very fresh plumage, with the underlying pattern largely
obscured by large pale tips/fringes to the indiviual feathers. When the wind
disturbs the feathering on such birds, the underlying pattern becomes more
apparent, and I would expect that only a little feather wear would make the
underlying pattern show up much better.

I wouldn't regard such birds as much of an ID problem. They still show the
same basic pattern, have the long bill, clean flanks and distinctive head
pattern etc which typify Pecs. But they do still lack the most conspicuous
feature of a Pec, and would certainly be harder to pick out at a distance.

Chris

Chris Corben

www.hoarybat.com