birding-aus

Kentish Plover

To: <>
Subject: Kentish Plover
From: "Phil Straw" <>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 18:01:21 +1100
I do not normally access Birding-aus however Roger McGovern forwarded me some of the comments that appeared there about the Kentish Plover that I reported on 13 February 2002. This note is solely to respond to some of those comments.

I will be writing a BARC submission on behalf of myself, Brian Speechley and Chris Herbert. The three of us observed the bird at length before getting a telescope and camera equipment or referring to any text. >From our observations and later reference to the literature I am of the opinion the the bird was of the race dealbatus based on the fact that the bird had dark ear-covert patch. There was a distinctive patchiness to the back and wing coverts suggesting that the bird has not completed its body moult. Although the photographs taken by Chris are more than ample to illustrate the features mentioned here the slight hues resulting from colour refraction through the standard Swarovski AT80 spotting scope (not the high defenition model) means we do not have 100% acurate colours. Perhaps Mike Carter has done better.

Phil Straw