birding-aus

Learning from others

To: bird <>
Subject: Learning from others
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 16:40:45 +1000
In my three-score years and ten (plus!) I have reckoned that one can, with
an open and observant mind, learn from 'most anyone whom one encounters.  It
may be learning what to do, or what not to do ... or just learning.

If I hadn't already learnt this long ago, I would have learnt from KA that
humour is dangerous!  Fine among close friends if you know they have a sense
of humour; risky if a stranger is present; but never, ever, try it on an
unknown audience.

The pros and cons of bird-banding have been well aired on birding-aus.  It
is clear that there those 'for', and those 'against' who will never change
their minds.  (There are probably many from whom we do not hear, who are
prepared to withhold judgement and consider any project on its merits.)
Debate has been lively, but never, I think have knickers been so tightly
knotted as has resulted from KA's posting.

I must confess that sitting alone at the computer, I laughed out loud on
reading it.  Never for a moment did I take it seriously.  Now please feel
free to get stuck into me.

But you'll have to do it to me privately for I am going to Tasmania where'll
I'll be away from computers for a few weeks and I'm going to unsubscribe
from birding-aus until I get back.

Until mid-March.  Cheers

Syd

PS.  Thanks Russell, for your tolerance.

PPS.    Longstanding birding-ausers who may be unhappy at going over old
ground again and again, may take some consolation from the thought that
there are always younger people encountering that ground for the first time.