birding-aus

African Bird ID Resource

To: Peter Ryan <>
Subject: African Bird ID Resource
From: Callan Cohen <>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:05:27 +0200
Hi all,

FIELDGUIDE FRONTIERS: AFRICAN BIRD ID RESOURCE & BIRD QUIZ

Given Tom Tarrant's recent launch of the Oriental ID forum, we'd like to
inform you of our most recent updates on Fieldguide Frontiers, our African
bird ID resources at www.birding-africa.com (Tom, I might add, was the only
person to get one of our most difficult bird ID questions correct, despite
living on the other side of the globe!)

The aim of this page is to provide a forum for discussion of difficult ID
problems among African and migrant birds, whether of genuinely unidentified
birds, or plumages not given full field guide coverage. Many of the birds
recorded in Africa, especially our migrants, are widespread in Europe and
some even occur across to the Americas and Australia.

Fieldguide Frontiers consists of three parts:

-mystery bird pictures for discussion (updates include an Acrocephalus
warbler from South Africa, an eagle owl from the Usambaras in Tanzania, and
more including a Buteo buzzard and a wheatear)

-African Bird ID competition (recently updated, all birds occur in Africa
and 2 of the 6 new species are recorded from Europe, Americas and
Australia).

-ID articles and features (on Wandering Albatrosses, Angola Swallow and
Shoebill)

Submissions, comments and entries are most welcome at
www.birding-africa.com. Apologies for any cross postings.

With best regards,

Callan Cohen, Claire Spottiswoode and Peter Ryan

Callan Cohen                   Percy FitzPatrick Institute
        of African Ornithology,
Tel: +27 21 683 1898             University of Cape Town,
Mobile: +27 83 256 0491               South Africa.
Fax: +27 21 671 2990

For African birding & travel information, guiding & pelagic trips, visit:
BIRDING AFRICA www.birding-africa.com
CAPE TOWN PELAGICS www.capetownpelagics.com