birding-aus

Birders code of ethics

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Birders code of ethics
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 21:01:34 +1000
It is time we all had a look at what we consider our code of ethics.  In
some cases, what most of us considered "bad birding" is now a criminal
offence.  For further information, check on ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AND
BIODIVERSITY CONSERVATION ACT 1999.

SECT 20A Offences relating to listed migratory species,  makes it quite
clear that a number of practices are now illegal.  The penalties are very
severe.  Non-migratory endangered species are also dealt with in the same
manner but I can't quote the section off the top of my head.

The act can be found at http://www.ea.gov.au/epbc/about/index.html .  We
should all read the Act carefully. For those of you who can't access the Act
(or don't want to) here is a very short extract from SECT 20A:

"Offences relating to listed migratory species

(1)
A person is guilty of an offence if:
(a)
the person takes an action; and
(b)
the action results or will result in a significant impact on a listed
migratory species.
Note: Chapter 2 of the Criminal Code sets out the general principles of
criminal responsibility."

Flushing of breeding birds and some other practices would seem to fall
within this area.  Certainly food for thought.

Terry Pacey